Here I am trying to upload more photos, and blogger won't let me. Perhaps I am too impatient, or have already uploaded too many today.
I guess some of you are wondering how we are adjusting to our new surroundings? Well, we are homesick. It is difficult to start all over again, again. Sarah wants me to tell her that we will be in Wisconsin forever, but I don't want to tell her that. We want to go home. And then we have really good days. It takes time to make new friends. And find that space that is yours in a new place.
There are so many wonderful resources here that we enjoy. So many opportunities. Sarah and I love the library. We go there at least once a week, and sometimes twice. We love the fact that the bus is free around campus, including our 'on-campus' housing. We love the free zoo. We love Trader Joes, a more natural/organic store, that has some really good stuff. We were disappointed with Whole Foods, another organic store. It is way overpriced. I am disappointed that the closest grocery store is a 20 minute walk away. And that Woodmans, which has great prices and better practices than Walmart, is pretty far. We can walk to church (35 to 45 minutes). There are a lot of families with children, and quite a few Sarah's age. She loves the co-op preschool that she is in once a week, and she loves it when we have playdates. But in an area so packed with student families, everyone is so busy. And people don't seem to invite each other over much. Or maybe we haven't met the right people yet. Or maybe we are wrong people.
I miss my family. I miss all the get togethers for birthdays and other celebrations. And no matter where you go, nothing else is the same as family.
But on the other side. When we do finally go home. I will miss the library like crazy, where I can take out so many books, where I can put books on hold from any library in Wisconsin, and get new books, and DVD's and Computer games, and CDs, and I can have up to 100 items out at one time. I will miss the great sidewalks and walking paths that make pushing a pram around so easy. And the relative feeling of safety. For buses that work for the most part, even though they are irregular. And of course, I will miss the people I have grown to love here. I miss the friends I made in Utah. blahblahblah... the ramblings of a tired mom...
Any who, Halloween is a busy fun time of the year. Sarah is having a blast, and as soon as I can upload more pics, you will see more posts.
I guess some of you are wondering how we are adjusting to our new surroundings? Well, we are homesick. It is difficult to start all over again, again. Sarah wants me to tell her that we will be in Wisconsin forever, but I don't want to tell her that. We want to go home. And then we have really good days. It takes time to make new friends. And find that space that is yours in a new place.
There are so many wonderful resources here that we enjoy. So many opportunities. Sarah and I love the library. We go there at least once a week, and sometimes twice. We love the fact that the bus is free around campus, including our 'on-campus' housing. We love the free zoo. We love Trader Joes, a more natural/organic store, that has some really good stuff. We were disappointed with Whole Foods, another organic store. It is way overpriced. I am disappointed that the closest grocery store is a 20 minute walk away. And that Woodmans, which has great prices and better practices than Walmart, is pretty far. We can walk to church (35 to 45 minutes). There are a lot of families with children, and quite a few Sarah's age. She loves the co-op preschool that she is in once a week, and she loves it when we have playdates. But in an area so packed with student families, everyone is so busy. And people don't seem to invite each other over much. Or maybe we haven't met the right people yet. Or maybe we are wrong people.
I miss my family. I miss all the get togethers for birthdays and other celebrations. And no matter where you go, nothing else is the same as family.
But on the other side. When we do finally go home. I will miss the library like crazy, where I can take out so many books, where I can put books on hold from any library in Wisconsin, and get new books, and DVD's and Computer games, and CDs, and I can have up to 100 items out at one time. I will miss the great sidewalks and walking paths that make pushing a pram around so easy. And the relative feeling of safety. For buses that work for the most part, even though they are irregular. And of course, I will miss the people I have grown to love here. I miss the friends I made in Utah. blahblahblah... the ramblings of a tired mom...
Any who, Halloween is a busy fun time of the year. Sarah is having a blast, and as soon as I can upload more pics, you will see more posts.
November 4, 2007 at 10:51 PM
That was a true blog, and I loved it!!! I miss you and I love all that you shared. I know what you mean about the good, the bad, what you'll miss, what you miss now---you said it all so well. You are great, Tish, and I love hearing about you and your family. Keep the updates coming!